Friday, October 15, 2010

CULI CULI: 21ST CENTURY AND BEYOND


Dateline: 15 October 2010

How time flies…


My Culi Culi of the olden days is now known as PIO DEL PILAR. A progressive and vibrant community populated by diverse people of ethnic origin.

The gravel road where we used to play “patintero” and softball are now concrete roads and the open canals where we get water to make the gridlines of “patintero” are now RC drainage culverts covered by concrete sidewalks.

The rice paddies along the west side of Amorsolo Creek are now replaced by commercial establishments with a beautiful name the Mile Long. Sadly though, now, we cannot take short dips and dives in Amorsolo Creek.

Quel Marcelino is gone, I think Ms. Binay too [I wonder if she got married]. The Cruzes, Climacos, Samontes, Zapantas, De Leons and Callejas of my generation are gone either on the “other side” or have migrated to another country.

Gone too, are the wooden skate with wheels of bearings, the epees made of Gumamela twigs, the Gumamela fences are now Concrete Hollow Blocks fences, the nipa huts are now reinforced concrete structures.

Every time I passed the bridge over Tripa de Galina at the corner of M. Reyes Street, I melancholy glimpsed at where Bert's Place used to be and longingly search on the horizon the Talahib dominated scenery of San Isidro. Aaah it seems age has overtaken me because all I see are blurred shadows of concrete structures.    

The Spanish and Italian priests and brothers of Don Bosco are now Filipino, Indian and Papuans Salesian Fathers and brothers.

The 5-meter wide chest deep creek, along Monroe [Medina] Street down to Amorsolo, vegetated with kangkong and teeming with various fishes where we used to catch fishes is now a mere over-sized canal along Medina Street and Estacion Road with goofies and dapia.

The flood we once eagerly await along Javier Street flowing with dalags and hitos is now a terrifying event that flows with floating debris and garbage that everybody hates.

So frustrating, the flood took away memento of my youth, old pictures of happy days gone by. It also took my electronic files, the compilation of my personal, technical and business documents.

Every year after the rainy season, I have to bring my car to the shop for carpet drying because flood always finds its way inside my car. And I have nowhere to park it.

How I hate the flood……!


Well, the only consolation I have now is that I am so proud that the Binay of my “gagamba time” is now the Vice President of our country.

Now in the name of progress, Culi Culi, where are you going……?


This time, allow me to show the sentimental side of me by saying, Culi Culi how I wish to see the time when you, become a:

OUR VISION

Pio Del Pilar a GOD fearing, vibrant community that accepts the challenges of Growth, the melting pot of diverse, peace loving people of ethnic origin living peacefully and in harmony, working together as one in caring and protecting the community, especially its youth.

And the officials who lead you work towards:


OUR MISSION

To deliver basic and innovative services to our residents through the continuous improvement of formulating and implementing moral policies and programs especially focused on health, education, environment, economic growth, and peace and order.



===========================

No comments:

Post a Comment